Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Recent Eats- Satura Cake Tasting, Ka Ikena, and Super Bowl Spread



Wedding Cake Tasting at Satura Sakes
These cakes were very delish, but I want something dark and sinful at my wedding (temp. date summer 08). All these cakes were very light on the palate and the "cream fresh" was yummy and not very sweet as a frosting, but like I said, not what I would choose since my sweet tooth is unsatiable. I tried a shortcake with fresh tropical berries and vanilla cream, a chocolate cake with rasberry cream, chocolate cake with caramel and mocha cream (the flavors were faint but blended well), shortcake with mango coconut cream (by far the sweetest-which wasn't saying much, but very tropical and coconut), shortcake with mango-passionfruit cream and red currants (this was by far the most delightful, I had never had currents before and the sharp tartness was pleasantly unexpected), and finally my favorite the gently flavored green tea.

Lunch at Ka Ikena-KCC Culinary School Restaurant
This was the best meal I have had in many months. It was fantastic!!! Firstly, I paid a set price (no tip allowed since they are students) of $15 dollars per person (includes roll, coffee or tea, and 3 courses), and secondly the food quality was amazing, I wish I had taken more pictures of the food, not just desserts. Though the service was slightly lacking, the food, price, and beautiful view of Hawaii Kai made up for it.

I started with a duck confit salad with 3 pear slices and my fiance got the vissysoise (wrong spelling i bet). The salad was no more than 8 bites set up nicely in a margarita type glass but it was very tasty, and the cold potato soup was perfect. For an entree I had ordered some dish that they were out of (I think it was Salmon and shrimp or something) so I settled with shrimp and scallops and my fiance got the Veal Osso Bucco with risotto. I have absolutely NO complaints! My entree was presented nicely with 5 shrimp and 3 scallops drizzled in a delicious creamy sauce on top of a puff pastry with sauteed mushrooms on the side. There were garnishes of red fish eggs and all the flavors were delicious and not too heavy. But my fiance's entree was my favorite and was so savory I couldn't get enough! I had never had Osso bucco, let alone veal and the meat was so flavorful and fell right off the bone, melting in my mouth, and the risotto was perfect, just how I like it, creamy and cheesy.





If you take a look at the photos you will see the crowning glory of the meal, the desserts. The presentation was art as you can see on the opera cake there is a shaving of gold and a golden design on the dark chocolate piece of musical notes. The other dessert, my Alaska had a glistening sugar spiderweb topping the white/golden mound. Even though I am a chocoholic, I ordered the baked Alaska (another first) and I prefered it to the chocolate opera cake. The lilikoi and rasberry sauces were the perfect tart compliment to the sweetness of the icecream and the sweet mereingue (spelling again im sure).

Super Bowl Spread

I made a "Dip Fest" table for my super bowl get together. Very fun (yet took a long time) to prepare. I had dark chocolate dipped chips, pretzels, and dried fruits, fresh fruit with yogurt dip, veggies with lemon basil and chive dip, margarita jello shots, and that adorable layered dip set up to look like a football field. (i'll show a more in detailed photo if requested)



4 comments:

Kathy YL Chan said...

I've heard so much about the KCC dining hall, such a great price for so much good sounding food! ooh, Satura Cakes! They opened their Ward location just the day after I went back to Claremont...I'll try make it down there this week. I love lightly flavored asian desserts, but you're definitely right about them being too subtle to satify a REAl sweet tooth or rich chocolate craving! :)

BoLA said...

YUM!!! :D I LOVE Cake tastings!!!

My bad... I didn't look at your blog before commenting! ;) Good luck with your move from Honolulu to LA!!!

Keep up the great blogging!

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?